APN: "Message Board Wasteland"

we are so far away from interesting on here.

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: baseball version four
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:01 am 
Won't pitch on Yom Kippur

i lament the fact that as a casual fan and citizen of the great american mlb desert there's no way i can wear a baseball hat and not feel awkward about it. you would think that would lend me infinite freedom of choice, but that's not the case. just awkwardness at every turn.

http://pitchersandpoets.com/2009/03/18/ ... a-pitcher/

the dodgers look like half a team this year. pretty pessimistic. will probably watch mls and tennis all summer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:23 pm 
Dependable R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

Manny retires after being caught doping for a second time. My day is made.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 pm 
still whining after all these years

We had the Sox welcome home dinner, and I so wish they were 0-7 just because everyone would have been miserable. On the plus side, met an owner of Narragansett that's hooking me up with a case or two of my favorite seasonal, and got a job as a doorman at one of my favorite bars for the season.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 pm 

Got that at the game Friday night, it's amazing. The game, not so much, it was the closest I've ever come to walking out of a game early even with 5th row seats.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:50 pm 
I tan very well

It feels pretty good to be a Cleveland fan right now. Hopefully they can at least make it to the All-Star break before my buzz gets killed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 pm 

It took four tries but I finally saw the White Sox win a game.

Also, this happened - http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_spo ... s&FEEDNAME
Gaedel's great nephew (6-ft.-3) picked by Padres
This great baseball story is turning into a tall tale.

Nearly 60 years after 3-foot-7 midget stuntman Eddie Gaedel became the smallest man in major league history when he stepped to the plate for the St. Louis Browns against the Tigers, his great nephew, 6-foot-3 outfielder Kyle Gaedele (Eddie had dropped the last "e") from Valparaiso, has been drafted by the Padres.

Browns owner Bill Veeck, who had a knack for publicity stunts, sent in the pint-sized hitter -- wearing a jersey with the number 1/8 -- to pinch-hit during the second game of the Aug. 19, 1951 doubleheader. Between games, Gaedel had jumped out of a 7-foot birthday cake to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the American League and Browns radio sponsor, Falstaff Brewery.
SMALL WONDER: Famous baseball midget Eddie Gaedel bats against the Tigers on Aug. 19, 1951 at Sportsman's Park in St. Louis. His 6-foot-3 great nephew, Kyle Gaedele, was selected by the Padres in the sixth round of this week's MLB Draft.

Gaedel was on orders not to take the bat off his shoulder. He walked on four straight pitches, all high, from the Tigers' Bob Cain before being subbed out for a pinch-runner at first base. It would be his only appearance in a big league game. Gaedel's jersey resides in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

The younger Gaedele was selected by the Padres in the sixth round, No. 203 overall, making him the highest pick in Valparaiso history. He had been selected in the 32nd round out of high school by the Rays.

"I'm pretty fortunate. Lack of height doesn't run in the family," Gaedele -- who at 6-foot-3 weighs 220 pounds -- told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

"I'm proud of it," said Gaedele, adding he first became aware of his famous uncle during a visit to Cooperstown at age 11.

"It's part of baseball history. The picture of him getting walked is one of the most famous in baseball."

Gaedele, a junior, batted .326 over his three-year career at the small Lutheran college in northwest Indiana. He hit 17 home runs and is ranked among the best hitters in school history in several categories, including seventh all-time with 121 RBIs.

"I go up there and take a hack," Gaedele said. "I'm fully opposite of Eddie."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:44 pm 

Ok, WOW WHAT A DAY.

BOTH Wild Cards tied when the day starts. Epic Braves collapse completes.

TWO WALK OFF GAMES, DECIDED WITHIN THREE MINUTES OF EACH OTHER. Pappelbon gets two strike outs then melts down, Longoria hits two homers.

I got home from band practice just in time to see all of this go down, was getting text updates on what was going on from a friend.

FUCK I love baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 am 
still whining after all these years

Ehh, I'm happy it's over and I won't have an issue parking for work again til April... or the next blizzard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:26 am 

Fuck the Rangers, Brew crew all the way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:36 pm 

This game six is AMAZING.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:50 pm 

Holy shit, Rangers had TWO opportunities to close it and needed only one strike, then Freese hits a WALK OFF!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:57 pm 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 6113.story
Quote:
MLB shifts Astros to AL, adds wild-card teams

By Phil Rogers, Tribune reporter

12:28 p.m. CST, November 17, 2011

MILWAUKEE -- After 51 seasons in the National League, the Houston Astros soon will need a full-time designated hitter. They’re moving to the American League, effective 2013, in a piece of restructuring approved by owners Thursday.

As expected, owners signed off on a long discussed expansion of the playoffs. A second wild-card team will be added to both leagues, increasing the number of playoff teams from eight to 10 and adding a preliminary round in which wild-card teams will play each other to see who advances.

“This rewards the teams that win divisions,’’ Commissioner Bud Selig said.

Selig is hopeful that the wild-card teams can be added for 2012 but indicated that logistical concerns could delay it until ’13, when the 15/15 alignment of leagues will require inter-league play to expand from a two-month segment of the schedule into a season-long piece.

Selig said the Astros’ league switch was approved by longtime Astros owner Drayton McLane, but that’s a matter of semantics. It was mandated by MLB as a condition of McLane’s $680 million sale of the team to Jim Crane, whose purchase was delayed while MLB investigated his history of charges of workplace discrimination and war profiteering.

Crane was unanimously approved, according to Selig, although it is unclear if he could have gained approval without moving the Astros. That allowed MLB to even the two leagues at 15 teams apiece, as the players union had been pushing them to do.

“This feels very good,’’ said Crane, who had made previous attempts to purchase the Astros, Rangers and Cubs. “I’ve been trying for a long time (to buy a team). For those who don’t know me, I’m from Missouri, and we’re sort of stubborn. Stubborn like a mule.’’

The Astros will play in the NL next season and move to the AL West in 2013, giving both leagues three five-team divisions. The move is not popular with many of their fans but Crane emphasized the rivalry with the Texas Rangers while downplaying the inconvenience of having division rivals two time zones away.

“I was in the air freight business,’’ Crane said. “I’ve always flown a lot. We’ll be flying a lot.’’

McLane purchased the Astros from John McMullen in 1992, paying $117 million for the team. He oversaw their move from the Astrodome to Minute Maid Park and first-ever trip to the World Series.

“Drayton should have a wonderful legacy with what he did with the Astros,’’ Selig said. “He got a new ballpark built. He leaves a much better franchise than when he came in. He deserves a lot of credit.’’

While this will be a period of change for baseball, one of the game’s most argued issues isn’t going away any time soon. Selig said there is no movement by owners to eliminate the designated hitter rule, which was approved in 1972 for the ’73 season.

“It would take something I would describe as a cataclysmic event for that to happen,’’ Selig said. “What could that be? Geographical realignment? I don’t see that. The game is fine as it is. I’ll say this -- (the DH rule) doesn’t bother fans.’’

Selig had hoped to unveil a new collective bargaining agreement at the quarterly meeting but it remains in the late stages of negotiation with the players union.

“I’m really confident,’’ said MLB Executive Vice President Rob Manfred. “I’m hopeful we’ll push it across the finish line.’’

BULLSHIT. I do not approve of this at all. The MLB playoff system is perfect as it currently stands. One game playoffs have been some of the most exciting games of all time and forcing them to happen every year is just idiotic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:00 pm 

Oh man, so Phillip Humber's perfect game? I had no idea it was happening until my dad sent me some texts/was being all coy and not telling me what was going on directly. I was out for Record Store Day so I had to find a bar near by.

I found a spot to stand and was living and dying with every pitch, but the guys around me had no idea what was happening until after it was over. They thought I was just some insane White Sox fan who is THAT into a late April game. It was pretty funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:19 pm 

I just realized that my weekend job is going to suck even more when Baseball season is over because I won't be able to listen to games on the radio while I work. I guess I'll have to start following football?

Anyway, the White Sox are still leading the division, which I don't think anyone expected. Fuck yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:14 pm 
testical dust

Uhh White Sox?

I had tickets to tonight game (Thursday) v Detroit. Rained out.

The make up is Monday, September 17th. I'm fucked at unloading 3 tickets for an afternoon game. Might go by myself. Bill, you want a free ticket?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:09 pm 

Ah, bummer, I work Monday nights now. At least that'll give me something to listen to then though!